A sedentary lifestyle is one of the main risk factors for heart disease. In fact, being physically inactive increases the risk of heart disease or stroke by 50%. Therefore, being active is key to have a strong and healthy heart, since the heart is a muscle and needs exercise to keep fit and thus be able to pump blood efficiently through the body.
Exercising regularly has many benefits for your heart:
Strengthens your heart and cardiovascular system.
- Prevents heart disease.
- Improves circulation and helps your body use oxygen better.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Reduces the risk of suffering a stroke
- Helps reduce body fat and reach a healthy weight.
- Lowers bad cholesterol.
- Helps reduce stress, tension, anxiety, and depression.
- Improves general health and well-being.
Being physically active and doing exercise (such as walking, running, swimming, cycling, playing sports, etc.) for at least 30 minutes each day is essential for good heart health.